Butternut squash is very versatile, but if you’ve never prepared it before it may seem a bit confusing. Although it has an odd shape, butternut squash is fairly simple to prepare if you know the proper techniques. Follow these simple steps to peel and prep your squash like a pro.
- Slice off both ends of the squash using a large, sharp knife. It’s very important that the knife is sharp, as a dull knife requires more pressure from you and may result in a dangerous slip.
- Peel the entire squash using an extra strong peeler, preferably one made with carbon steel blades. Because the squash is curved in the middle, it’s best to peel lengthwise.
- Cut the squash in half at its center, which is approximately between the thin “neck” and the larger “body” portion.
- Slice the neck portion down the center to create flat, cylindrical pieces. Then, slice these pieces into wide strips and eventually cut them down into cubes.
- To cut the body, first slice it in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and innards with a spoon. Finally, slice the two pieces into cubes the same way that you did with the neck.